Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome!

I am often in awe of how quickly time passes. I frequently lament about how busy I am -- and while I don't personally set New Year's Resolutions, I do regularly resolve to live "in the moment." While there is no way to stop the clock, it seems I knew years ago that the only way to slow it down is to immerse yourself fully in what you're doing at the moment.

Some of you know me. Some of you know that is not one of my strengths, that while I may have *said* it, I rarely achieved it.

I used to pride myself in my ability to multi-task. Amidst one task, my mind would leap to the next - and the next, and the next and the next, never fully focusing on anything. And when I was intensely focused, interruptions frustrated.

A dear friend recently gave me a copy of Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. Wow. I want to simultaneously devour it like a starving lion with fresh kill and savor it like the last piece of Christmas fudge. Every word in this book is speaking directly to me. If I were to underline meaningful sentences, the book would resemble the first draft of an article on an editor's desk. From this book:

"Thanksgiving makes time.


Really? Give thanks and get time? Give thanks... slow time down with all your attention -- and your basket of not-enough-time multiplies into more than enough time."

Enter A Moment With Mel. This is my journey to savor every moment. To BE where I am. To focus on the blessings in every situation, to slow the relentless ticking. Join me, won't you?

7 comments:

  1. Gladly join you! Love sharing this journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogging Melanie!! I think you'll enjoy it. Since I started my blog, I think I take more pictures... because I want to blog about it and share what I'm doing with my friends and family.
    2012 will be a great year. I look forward to reading more from you. And great quote... "Thanksgiving makes time". It seems ironic but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you did it! Well done. I am thrilled for your journey and walking with you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I hope this will be an amazing journey for you and look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had followed her blog for some time and bought the book (on Kindle) the day it came out. :) Devoured it the first time even though I realized after perhaps two chapters that I would need to go back and read it slowly. In print. Finally got around to getting a print copy a few weeks ago and have just started it again. So thankful that she listened to His words and wrote them down for so many to learn from! That book was a big part of 2011 being the year with the most spiritual growth I've experienced.

    Looking forward to following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogging! I also follow Ann Voscamp's blog and I am encouraged by it. She really speaks to the heart and core of subject she is going through. I am glad that you are enjoying the book and are being challenged by it!

    ReplyDelete